History of Special Collections

Since its inception in 1875, the Haverhill Public Library has always had a collection of books relating to local history, genealogy, and native poet John Greenleaf Whittier. Shortly after the library’s inception, the local Whittier Club began an official Whittier Collection at the Library around 1887. In 1916, the Pecker Collection, dedicated to New England, state, and town histories, was started and was later expanded in 1932 to include family histories and genealogical material. In 1923, the Haverhill Collection was formally established to preserve existing library material and to collect additional material for future generations. In 1969, with the construction of a new library building, plans called for two rooms to house the then 20,700 volumes that made up the Whittier, Local History, and Genealogy collections. In 1997, with the renovation of the library, Special Collections was moved to the 3rd floor where it presently resides.

Archival Aids

Finding Aids

Research our Physical Collections

Online Catalog

Search Our Catalog for Items

Senter Digital Archive

Images and Information About Haverhill's Culture and History

Research Aids

Obituary Searches

Help Locating Local Obituaries

Research Requests

Librarian-aided Research Assistance

Historical Newspapers

Papers for in-person viewing and on microfilm

Digitized Yearbooks

Haverhill High School

Browse virtual copies of Haverhill High School, Haverhill Trade School, and Saint James.

Other Materials of Interest

Magazines in Special Collections

Print volumes to browse