Resources // Blog

March 16, 2023

Trustees Minutes

Haverhill Public Library

Board of Trustees

Minutes of March 16, 2023

The regular monthly meeting of the Trustees of the Haverhill Public Library was called to order at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 16, 2023 in the Donald C. Freeman Whittier Room. In attendance were Trustees Bresnahan, Coletti, Klueber, Rurak, Sheehan and Veasey-Sirois.  Also in attendance was Director, Sarah Moser and Assistant Director, Jane Lemuth.

Secretary’s Report

            The trustees were given copies of the minutes dated February 16, 2023.  After perusing the minutes, a motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes.  The minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s Report

Business manager, Josh, presented the financial statements for February. Highlights included:

  • The endowment and special collections have decreased slightly.
  • Reader’s Fund gifts so far total almost $12,000. This amount exceeds 2022 but is less than 2021, which was the highest year so far. He also noted that the average size of the gifts is higher and most are from previous donors.

Director’s Report

A copy of the director’s report was given to the trustees. Sarah discussed the highlights and other director’s news:

  • The first draft of the trustees budget will be completed by next month.
  • The library had two late openings and one early closing due to snow.
  • Two new staff started in circ and are doing well.
  • Rachel has been working on organizing Comic Con for May 13.
  • The library was represented by Jackie, Rachel, Sarah and Amanda M. in the Rotary Club’s Bocce Ball Bash.
  • Sarah showed designs for the 150th anniversary shirts that will be available for sale.

Old Business

Staff Updates

Two staff in children’s were asked not to complete their probationary periods. Joanna handled some struggles well and the union supported the decision. We will be working on filling those positions before the summer reading program starts.

Building Updates

There were some small plumbing issues that were addressed.

OverUnder Update

Mark sent a survey that he would like the trustees to complete. The trustees discussed making changes to the survey before taking it in order to be able to provide more details and address concerns that were not on the survey.

Trustee Rurak raised important questions regarding funding for the building, such as, how much time to spend on fundraising, what if we don’t receive extra funding, what can we do with the money we have now? The trustees also raised questions about the costs and logistics of closing the building during construction and relocating temporarily. Trustee Sheehan suggested that we need a fundraising professional, a consultant to help with the planning, followed by a project manager when the work begins.

Sarah will schedule a workshop for April 20 after the trustees meeting and start the meeting at 9 a.m. instead of 9:30 a.m.

New Business

            Sarah received a quote from Uptack to fix the HVAC leaks in the mechanical room. It is $22,000. Trustee Coletti made a motion to approve the quote and Trustee Rurak seconded the motion. All were in favor of approving the quote.

            Sarah attended the first budget meeting with the Mayor. She was asked to submit a 2% increase. She asked for manager salary increases and a second custodian. MVLC’s consortium fees have increased so more money will be needed for that, as well as, for increases in utility and security fees.

Sarah stated that the Geoffrion family was concerned about the pause in work on the Senter project. The trustees stated that they agreed to match the Geoffrion donation and they did so the required work is complete. They discussed the contract, obligations, money and lack of staff to continue work at this point.

            Sarah discussed having a fall fundraiser for the first time since before covid. She suggested the possibility of having it catered at the library. She will start planning.

            Trustee Sheehan discussed the inflation reduction grant funding and suggested that we should find out more about it and how to apply. He also suggested sending a brochure to legislators to ask for help receiving federal grant money for the building project. He would like to include Brian Dempsey to help.

There being no further business to discuss, a motion was made and seconded to adjourn. The meeting ended at 12:00 p.m.


Kathleen Bresnahan