Haverhill Public Library
Board of Trustees
Minutes of April 15, 2021
The regular monthly meeting of the Trustees of the Haverhill Public Library was called to order at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 15, 2021 via Zoom or in the auditorium. In attendance were Trustees Bresnahan, Coletti, Klueber, Rurak, Sheehan, and Veasy-Sirois. Also in attendance were Director, Sarah Moser and Assistant Director, Jonathan Nichols.
The trustees were given copies of the minutes dated March 18, 2021. After perusing the minutes, a motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes. The minutes were approved.
Sarah presented the financial statements for March. She stated that both funds have increased and that there are no anomalies this month. Also, the state funds are in and we are waiting for the city to release them.
A motion was made and seconded to accept the financial statements. The statements were approved.
Sarah discussed the highlights of the director’s report:
- Once the elevator is done the goal is to re-open children’s and the public bathrooms first followed by opening nights in early June.
- Staff continues to work on helping patrons with vaccine registration
- We are looking into replacing the wooden fencing around the parking lot
- Building: The elevator repairs are almost completed, then we will need to wait for the state inspection. Also, HVAC repairs are needed and Paul is working with Maroney/Cox.
- Budget Update: Sarah attended a budget meeting with the Mayor. She was pleased that the Mayor agreed to fund the library to meet the MAR and that we won’t need a waiver for next year. They also discussed hiring an archivist.
- Strategic Plan Update: Barbra Alevras, the strategic planning consultant will hold meetings with staff and the board. The board voted to reserve time after the May meeting to meet with her.
- Grad Trust: There was discussion on how best to handle the transfer of funds from the Grad Trust to the library and the best way to invest the money. Only income can be used for purchases, not principle. Trustee Rurak stated that the Grad family is open to do what the Trustees deem is best. He also requested a thank you letter be written to the Grad Family and a press release sent out.
- The Trustees voted to change the monthly meeting time to 9:00 a.m., when the library opens, to accommodate anyone that wishes to attend the meetings. They also agreed to add a “Public Comment” section to the agenda.
- The Haverhill Garden Club wants to help the greening of the community by incorporating a “take a plant, leave a plant” shelf on library grounds. There was discussion on how best to do this without it becoming a mess or burden for library staff.
- Sarah asked the Trustees to approve an update and a few minor changes to the dress code. All were in favor.
- There was discussion on how to handle requests from non-profits to use photos from Special Collections to make a profit.
There being no further business to discuss, a motion was made and seconded to adjourn. The meeting ended at 10:30 a.m.