Haverhill Public Library
Board of Trustees
Minutes of January 16, 2020
The regular monthly meeting of the Trustees of the Haverhill Public Library was called to order at 8:35 a.m. on Thursday, January 16, 2020 in the Donald C. Freeman Whittier Room. In attendance were Trustees Bresnahan, Klueber, and Coletti. Trustee Sheehan was in attendance via telephone. Also in attendance was Director, Sarah Moser and Assistant Director, Jonathan Nichols. Trustee Veasey-Sirois arrived at 9:20. Trustee Rurak was absent.
The first order of business was an introduction of the new Assistant Director, Jonathan Nichols, to the Trustees.
The second order of business was a presentation by Lidia Szydlowska and John Hamilton Hale of PionArch, LLC, an architecture/interior design firm. They presented their ideas for utilizing the indoor space better, adding attractive design elements, adding study rooms and an outdoor space. They discussed the many phases of the design process, including this first phase of concept development, and asked the Trustees for their wants and needs for the library space.
The Trustees inquired about the following:
- Utilize the third floor space outside of special collections for meetings or small events and having the Summer Street entrance be separate and lead directly to the elevator for people going the third floor
- A roof deck off the third floor space
- Modifications made to the teen area
- Outdoor patio with tables, but with concerns that it might attract non-library patrons and being mindful of outdoor activity that occurs day and night, some of it dangerous, in the area where it is proposed to be
- Previously mentioned was a coffee shop in the library, but there are concerns about the mess and extra work it would create for staff
- A nice area for a coffee vending machine
- Bring out the aesthetics of the pool/fountain area
- Look at the computer room since it is being underutilized.
Sarah will provide the parking study, roof study, strategic plan, 5 year plan and library mission to PionArch so they can be sure to be in coordination with those documents.
Trustee Sheehan asked how Sarah chose PionArch. She and other staff researched firms through MBLC and came up with a small list. There were no local architectural firms that specialized in libraries and Angelo Petrozzelli seems to be winding down his career. Trustee Coletti said that the library has always preferred to hire firms with library experience. Sarah met with Lidia and was impressed at how responsive, receptive and flexible she was. Trustee Sheehan was pleased with the presentation. Mr. Hamilton Hale talked about his extensive 45 years of experience with much of it being library experience, including the Library of Congress.
Trustee Coletti made a first motion to accept the proposal from PionArch and Trustee Bresnahan seconded it. All were in favor and the proposal was accepted.
The trustees were given copies of the minutes dated December 12, 2019. After perusing the minutes, a motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes. The minutes were accepted.
The December financial reports will be presented in February.
The December director’s report will be discussed in February.
Staff updates will be discussed in February.
The FY21 budget will be discussed in February.
There being no further business to discuss, a motion was made and seconded to adjourn. The meeting ended at 10:10 a.m.
Kathleen Bresnahan, Secretary