Haverhill Public Library
Board of Trustees
Minutes of May 20, 2021
The regular monthly meeting of the Trustees of the Haverhill Public Library was called to order at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 20, 2021 via Zoom or in the auditorium. In attendance were Trustees Bresnahan, Coletti, Klueber, Rurak, Sheehan, and Veasy-Sirois. Also in attendance was Director, Sarah Moser.
The trustees were given copies of the minutes dated April 15, 2021. After perusing the minutes, a motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes. The minutes were approved.
Business manager, Josh McDonald, presented the financial statements for April. He stated that the portfolio has increased and that part of the Grad Trust money was added. The rest is expected to be added this month. He also noted that this year has been the most successful year for the Reader’s Fund. Also, state aid was more than was anticipated.
A motion was made and seconded to accept the financial statements. The statements were approved.
Sarah discussed the highlights of the director’s report:
- There are two open positions in reference and we are in the process of interviewing
- Sarah attended the City Council budget meeting and said that the archivist position wasn’t approved but that the library will meet the MAR. Trustee Coletti asked if we could hire another custodian instead of an archivist. Sarah said she could ask the Mayor.
- State aid came in this month and the money that wasn’t anticipated went to management salary increases, outreach line items, building line items and processing materials.
- The trustees budget is being finalized to vote on next month
- With the updated state Covid guidelines, we have done away with the check in desk and pagers. Also the Children’s room and bathrooms are open.
- We expect to be open full hours beginning on June 1, with security shifting to night hours
- The library has closed on Sundays until October.
The state is expected to end the mask mandate on May 30 and there was discussion about what to require at the library.
There being no further business to discuss, a motion was made and seconded to adjourn. The meeting ended at 9:30 a.m.
Barbara Alevras joined via Zoom to conduct the strategic planning exercises with the trustees at 9:30 a.m.
Sincerely, Kathleen Bresnahan